The 2020 edition of Doc Edge Festival is being held online, starting from 12th June until 05th July.
The Doc Edge is part of the events of the Documentary New Zealand Trust. It was previously named DOCNZ International Documentary Film Festival, and was founded in 2005 by Helen Clark, Prime Minister, in Auckland. It changed its name in 2010.
It is usually held from April to June in Auckland and Wellington but, due to the Covid-19 outbreak, is being held online in this edition.
Doc Edge Festival is an Oscar Qualifying festival for Documentary Short Subject. The relative awards is Best International Short Documentary (International Selection) and Best Short Documentary (New Zealand Selection).
Short Docs in program
- ‘Ofeina’o Lesieli by Shannon Robinson (Tonga, Kiribati, Solomon Islands, Fiji)
- A Broken Earth by James Muir(New Zealand)
- Akashinga: The Brave Ones by Maria Wilhelm (USA)
- All Cats Are Grey in the Dark by Lasse Linder (Switzerland)
- Becoming Masina by Veronica Maitre (New Zealand)
- Blackfeet Boxing: Not Invisible by Kirsten Lappas, Tom Rinaldi (USA)
- By The River by Dan Braga Ulvestad (Australia, India)
- Far From Home by Felicia Taylor (Senegal)
- For Me and Others Like Me by Sein Lyan Tun (Myanmar)
- How to Break out of Prison by Huanhuan Zhang (New Zealand)
- Hurting to Heal by Kate Gordon (New Zealand)
- INVASION: The Unist’ot’en’s Fight for Sovereignty by Michael Toledano, Sam Vinal (Canada)
- Koro’s Hāngi by Gianni Aro-Reid, Danni Liang (New Zealand)
- Liv by Alan Hicks (USA)
- Maelstrom by Misja Pekel (Netherlands)
- My Brother’s Keeper by Laurence Topham (UK)
- Pluck by Kristy Griffin, Viv Kernick (New Zealand)
- Rise by Jess Feast (New Zealand)
- River Queens: Highlight My Strengths by Jeremy Lurgio (New Zealand, USA)
- Sing, They All Said, Just Sing by Sakshi Chadha (New Zealand)
- Speaking for the Dead by Peiman Zekavat (UK)
- Tapu Te Ranga Marae by Vanessa Patea (New Zealand)
- Tending Clouds by Joel Sandvos, Janey Shugart (USA, Cambodia)
- The Dental Reunion by Michelle Savill (New Zealand, USA)
- The Love Bugs by Allison Otto (USA)
- We Rock! by Morgan Leary (New Zealand)